ADEQ: Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, Arizona's Official Web Site
Our mission is to protect and enhance public health and the environment
Coal Combustion Residual Rule

Coal Combustion Residual (CCR) rule

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has issued national regulations on the safe disposal of coal combustion residuals from coal-fired power plants. Coal combustion residuals (CCRs), commonly known as coal ash, are byproducts of the combustion of coal at power plants operated by electric utilities and independent power producers. Coal ash may be disposed of in wet form in large surface impoundments, or in dry form in landfills.

The rule establishes technical requirements for surface impoundments and landfills. Under the rule, facilities are subject to recordkeeping requirements, notification requirements, and a requirement to develop and maintain a publicly available Internet site containing information on actions required to be taken by facilities to comply with the elements of the final rule (see Links below for facility websites).

ADEQ’s role

The rule requires facilities to send specific notifications to the relevant State Director and/or appropriate Tribal authority. ADEQ will receive these notifications for facilities located on non-tribal land in Arizona. The Arizona Department of Water Resources (ADWR) will also receive notifications relating to dam safety.

The CCR rules are self-implementing, meaning that power plants must comply with the rule but ADEQ does not have the authority to implement or require compliance with rule requirements. In order to comply with the CCR rule, power plants may need to make changes to facility design or operation, modify or close existing facilities, or build new facilities. Some of these changes may require power plants to obtain authorization from State regulatory programs. ADEQ will process permit amendment applications as they are received from power plants to ensure that ADEQ regulatory permit requirements are implemented. Facilities are advised to contact other state agencies such as ADWR to address permit requirements under their jurisdiction.


EPA website for CCR Frequent Questions

Websites for facilities located on non-tribal land in Arizona: